Family Mission Statement

"The Mission of the Anderson Family is to become and do all things necessary to be exalted as a family. To prepare for heaven, we will create a 'heaven on earth' by maintaining: A home where the spirit dwells, a home of LOVE, a home of FAITH, a home of ORDER, a home of LEARNING, a home of HEALTH, a home of WORK, and a home of PLAY-- where we are united in our obedience to God and enjoy true happiness."

Friday, May 24, 2013

Plants and Children

Sometimes this blog just turns into my parenting analysis.
Lately I have been growing a lot of little plants in my kitchen window.
As I take them outside to plant in my yard, I have to consider what their needs are-
Some need a lot of sunshine, some need very little.

This last weekend, my mom commented that my middle children (one in specific)
needs a lot of attention from me.  
I started giving her excuses for how I didn't have time to give them all one-on-one time each day.  
She pointed out that some of my children didn't need it as much.
The more I thought about it, the more I realized that children are like plants.
I make sure they all get fed every day, but am I giving them attention or SUNSHINE?
Especially the ones that need a lot of sunshine to grow well?

So, with the work load I carry with taking care of so many children and 
the house and the yard each day,
I found my best one-on-one time is working with them.
It kills two birds with one stone.

2 comments:

Haley and Mitch said...

That is a scary analogy to me. Every plant I have ever had in my house has died a terrible death...

Melanie said...

A great analogy. And great that your mom gives you good advice. I so wish my mom could do that for me now and again.