Family Mission Statement

"The Mission of the Anderson Family is to become and do all things necessary to be exalted as a family. To prepare for heaven, we will create a 'heaven on earth' by maintaining: A home where the spirit dwells, a home of LOVE, a home of FAITH, a home of ORDER, a home of LEARNING, a home of HEALTH, a home of WORK, and a home of PLAY-- where we are united in our obedience to God and enjoy true happiness."

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sphere's and Laws

These two men (my dad and my husband)
are my favorite people to counsel with.
They are great listeners and so wise.
I recently asked each of them why some blessings are withheld 
even when we are being so obedient to so many commandments.
They helped me understand something so profound and so simple.

Each sphere has it's own laws and blessings... 
(D&C 93:30- "All truth is independent... D&C 88:34-40)
There are separate laws for other spheres that have to be obeyed to get those blessings.
This might explain why such faithfulness in so many areas 
doesn't translate to other areas of life.
(Some things do translate where laws overlap)

For example, even though I may be obediently going to church or reading my scriptures,
I could be unhappy if I am not being grateful...
Because a grateful person is a happy person.
Or, even if I am going to the temple and serving in the church,
I could have a weak marriage...
because marriage is a sphere with it's own laws.
Here's the advice Bishop Edgley gave Donny and I 
on the day he sealed/married us in the temple:
(He calls it "Achieving A Celestial Marriage")

-Be as kind and gentle at home as in public.
-When at home, focus on each other
-Be flexible, adaptable, and long on patience
-Have a sense of humor- it isn't as serious as it seems
-Use a happy list to pick each other up when one is down.
-Take each other's counsel
-Pray together daily
-Be quick to admit wrong, even if you aren't
-Praise and compliment one another in public and private
-Show love and affection to each other
-Hold Hands


3 comments:

Allison said...

You were a gorgeous bride! What a stunning couple. Thank you so much for your temple sealer's council. I absolutely love everything he said. What beautiful advice.

Sophie Weber said...

I am so glad you posted this. Thank you. As you know I am talking marriage stuff like everyday. I love that advice, I also like the comparisons. Sometimes I think I should pick where and when I get to see blessings of obedience. ;)

Unknown said...

good advice, glad you posted it. I loved catching up with you via your blog.