Family Mission Statement

"The Mission of the Anderson Family is to become and do all things necessary to be exalted as a family. To prepare for heaven, we will create a 'heaven on earth' by maintaining: A home where the spirit dwells, a home of LOVE, a home of FAITH, a home of ORDER, a home of LEARNING, a home of HEALTH, a home of WORK, and a home of PLAY-- where we are united in our obedience to God and enjoy true happiness."

Monday, April 22, 2013

Reverence Smiles

Last Sunday, I had quite a wrestle with all my 4 youngest kids during sacrament meeting.
As my mom would say, "we looked like a zoo."
My kids were so irreverent and I was trying to stay calm and kind.
After about half way through, I grabbed them all by the hand 
and pulled the whole row off and marched them home,
mouthing to Donny on the stand that I was DONE!
A few of them I didn't even allow to come back for primary.

Donny's advice after church was that I go back to the smilie chart.
We used to do this when our girls were little, but I had forgotten.
(I often expect my younger kids to do what my older ones do.)

So, this week I was prepared and it went AWESOME.
Every 5 minutes, I give them a smile or a frown for how reverent they were during that time.
I also mark if they sang the songs.
Each smile is rewarded after church at home. 
(apple slices or 1 T. of dad's peanut butter shake are what we use!)
If they get 3 frowns, I take them out for a time out in a nearby classroom.

I was a much happier mom this week and I thought 
I would share for anyone else who has this same frustration.
WHEN PERFORMANCE IS MEASURED,
PERFORMANCE IMPROVES!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Thanks for sharing! We had our own "zoo" last Sunday. Luckily Randy is on the bench so I can be out with the baby which is a nice change from years past.