Family Mission Statement

"The Mission of the Anderson Family is to become and do all things necessary to be exalted as a family. To prepare for heaven, we will create a 'heaven on earth' by maintaining: A home where the spirit dwells, a home of LOVE, a home of FAITH, a home of ORDER, a home of LEARNING, a home of HEALTH, a home of WORK, and a home of PLAY-- where we are united in our obedience to God and enjoy true happiness."

Friday, January 25, 2013

I Need Thee Every Hour



For my 2013 New Years Resolution, 
I told my kids I am going to be GENTLE.
In the past, I have been so intense- 
I have high expectations for myself and my family.
My drive for excellence tempts me to get 
easily frustrated with normal human behavior. 
Well, I broke it on New Years day.  

Why do I keep repeating the same things OVER and OVER.
I try to repent and change, but I cannot do it!
Packer, my wise 8 year-old, suggested I should set the bar higher...
Instead of saying I won't be rough with them, say that I won't even get angry.
Now, that is the question....
HOW do I not even get ANGRY?

I recently heard the story of the fence or the ambulance...
the lesson being to PREVENT rather than FIX.
Packer also wants to work on emotional control, 
so we tried to think of some ways we could prevent getting angry...
(Because I sure have a hard time getting out once I'm in)
He is learning a hymn on the organ right now- "I Need Thee Every Hour."
We thought of an idea to set our watches every hour to beep at us,
reminding us to pray for help to stay calm.
(We also have to do some praying in the moment, 
but the hourly beeping got us in the habit.)
IT HAS BEEN MIRACULOUS!
No wonder I could not do it on my own....
I NEED A SAVIOR.
He is quick to deliver, just waiting for us to CALL UPON HIM.

2 comments:

Sophie Weber said...

Mollie! This is so great! You told me when you were down for the funeral that you did this post, but I am now just getting too it!
I had a similar experience on Sunday. An aha of sorts. This was a great reminder once again. I love the hymns.

Melanie said...

Great idea! I love reading your blog to see all the new things you are coming up with to help motherhood/parenting/family run smoother. It's been way too long since I've seen you. I will be in Utah for a whole month this summer (mid-July through mid-August) so hopefully we can meet up a couple times.