Family Mission Statement

"The Mission of the Anderson Family is to become and do all things necessary to be exalted as a family. To prepare for heaven, we will create a 'heaven on earth' by maintaining: A home where the spirit dwells, a home of LOVE, a home of FAITH, a home of ORDER, a home of LEARNING, a home of HEALTH, a home of WORK, and a home of PLAY-- where we are united in our obedience to God and enjoy true happiness."

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Two Economies

One Size Fits All?
Not at our house with earnings.
I have tried 2 different systems for work rewards/consequences 
and have found because of my children's age differences, 
just one system doesn't work for everyone.
Using BOTH systems avoids frustration.
These two systems work SO WELL without force and anger,
so I wanted to write it out to share with others 
and also to keep for my memory...in case I forget.

System 1: (3-8 year-olds)
WORK earns FOOD
BREAKFAST= Basic getting ready stuff PLUS a Housework chore 
(4 year old= unloads dishwasher
6 year old= vacuums/mops floors
8 year old= cleans bathrooms)
MORNING SNACK= Clean up Breakfast
(4 year old= loads dishwasher
6 year old= dries dishes
8 year old= clears & wipes the table)
LUNCH= Yardwork or Help Cook
(or School if they are at school)
DINNER= (we eat right after school)= Homework
(or set the table if they are toddlers at home)
DESSERT= Clean up Dinner & Take Bath/Shower

System 2: (8-12 year-olds)
WORK earns MONEY and FOOD
They still cannot eat BREAKFAST without the basics of getting ready 
(make bed, say prayers, tidy room, brush teeth, get dressed)

They have additional responsibilites now that they are older (8+) 
(Reading, Music Practice, Household Stewardship- like cooking or laundry)
But they get more freedom on when they do these things,
since they are also busier with activities, sports, etc.
There is a time for accounting "adding up" each night and
 if they have done about 90% of their duties, they get dessert with us.
Each duty is allotted points which represent money amount 
and also help in calculating the 90%.
Here is a sample chart:

1 comment:

Haley and Mitch said...

I really LOVE your earning style.I think you should write a book. I have been reading "How to Talk so Kids Will Listen & Listen so Kids Will Talk"

http://www.amazon.com/Talk-Kids-Will-Listen-And-Listen/dp/0743525086

My Dr recommended it at Ben's 4 yr visit. I really like the concepts taught so far. I keep thinking, "Mollie should write a parenting book". I wonder if publishing would be as difficult as a fictional novel :)

I just think you have such amazing kids and you work as hard, if not harder, than any parents I know!