Family Mission Statement

"The Mission of the Anderson Family is to become and do all things necessary to be exalted as a family. To prepare for heaven, we will create a 'heaven on earth' by maintaining: A home where the spirit dwells, a home of LOVE, a home of FAITH, a home of ORDER, a home of LEARNING, a home of HEALTH, a home of WORK, and a home of PLAY-- where we are united in our obedience to God and enjoy true happiness."

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Christlike Virtues


I am so thankful for the loving nature of Jesus Christ.
I have been studying his life and seeking to develop his virtues a lot lately.
I found a great method of accountability that I wanted to share.
In each interaction with my children, I ask myself which virtue I need 
in order to fully love that person.  (Usually it is patience, kindness or meekness)
Then I silently pray for that attribute and record the virtue and the situation 
in a pocket journal (my phone).
I also record vices (usually selfishness, pride, roughness) and the situation.
At the end of the day, my goal is to be at least 80% of the time exercising virtues over vices.
(The reason I don't do 100% is because if I have one mess up during the day,
I will be tempted to just keep blowing it since I've already lost that day)
Recording it has helped me see patterns so I can be more conscious in vice prevention.
This method has really opened me up to access God's help/power to change my nature.
Meekness/Humility are required before any virtue can be developed.
(See Ether 12:6 "my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me")
(I am reading an awesome book by Elder Maxwell called "Meek & Lowly")

No comments: