Family Mission Statement

"The Mission of the Anderson Family is to become and do all things necessary to be exalted as a family. To prepare for heaven, we will create a 'heaven on earth' by maintaining: A home where the spirit dwells, a home of LOVE, a home of FAITH, a home of ORDER, a home of LEARNING, a home of HEALTH, a home of WORK, and a home of PLAY-- where we are united in our obedience to God and enjoy true happiness."

Friday, November 14, 2014

ANGER

ANGER & PERFECTION
I often struggle to bridle my passions, especially anger.
The cause of my anger is often my desire for perfection.
I get upset when things don't go perfectly. 
It has developed a bad habit of noticing the negative side of things 
(since I want to get rid of the imperfection). 
Lately I have been trying to notice the positive side of every situation 
which has helped me be happier- I find joy if I look for it.
(Inspired by Elder Uchtdorf's talk :grateful-in-any-circumstances
Being perfect isn't doing things perfectly, but treating people perfectly (with love)-
especially when they didn't do things perfectly.
Therefore, gratitude and optimism (looking at the bright side of things) are anger prevention.
I think it is because anger is a thought-sin (see Elder Lynn Robbins talk Agency & Anger) and pumping in grateful thoughts produces good feelings.  
Thoughts generate feelings.

ANGER & ADDICTION
I recently read through the 12 Steps Addiction Recover Program
and applied it to anger. I LOVED it. 
It has really helped me ponder the nature of God and His power to help me rid myself of ungodliness and develop a God-like nature.
I love all the writing exercises- they are such humbling and self-examining experiences.
My favorite part was writing down all my weaknesses in one column and then writing the opposite strength that I can seek for God's help in changing.
Every time I feel angry it is because one of my weakness is being triggered.
Anger is my warning signal that I am being ungodly.  
If I then recognize the triggered weakness and pray for the opposite virtue, it goes away.
IT IS AN AWESOME WAY TO TAP INTO GRACE= 
THE ENABLING POWER of GOD 
and really help the atonement come into effect in my life= 
getting me back into "oneness" with God.

Here are some of the weaknesses that I am praying for help to become strengths:
Demanding into Gracious
Stingy into Generous
Dull into Playful
Ignorant/Self Absorbed into Understanding/Caring
Critical into Encouraging

No comments: